J.B. Brewster patented the suspension system used on this carriage in 1873. It employs a spring over each axle with resilient wooden bars running front-to-back connecting them.

Two cross-load springs supporting the body connect the side bars. This carriage was called a 25-inch runabout by Brewster. In May of 1899, one could be had new for the sum of $510.

Accession no. 1978G17

Next Item